Integrating Yoga with the Enneagram | with Abi Robins

  enneagram-yoga-austin-tx.jpg

Tell us a little bit about what you do.

I am a yoga instructor and Yoga Therapy Intern who teaches group classes and private sessions in the Austin area. My public classes are vinyasa based and flow from gentle to powerful, depending on the group. My private sessions are what I call yoga and lifestyle coaching. I help people find more balance and ease in their lives through conscious movement, contemplative practices, and lifestyle adjustments. A lot of my focus, currently, is on bringing the ancient teachings of yoga and the Enneagram together to give people the tools and the knowledge to experience deep healing and personal transformation.

What are your passions?

I have so many! This really isn't even fair! Obviously, I love yoga, and I'm a little obsessed with the Enneagram. I am also very passionate about quality coffee. It's an almost constant struggle to enjoy all the coffee I want to without over-caffeinating. DOGS ARE LIFE. Like, no, really. Bring all the dogs to me and let me cuddle them. It may sound cliché, but I would have to say that my greatest passion is people. I love watching people come into their own and learn how to live as their authentic selves. I'm okay with pushing people's buttons if I know it will push/encourage them to grow, and I've been learning lately what it is to really hold space well for people who are in crisis or a big transition. Finding the balance between these two is tricky, but I think this skill has made a huge impact on my clients and my practice as a whole.

yoga-enneagram-therapy.jpg

Tell us about your journey with the Enneagram.

Well, I was first introduced to the Enneagram by my good friend, Matthias Roberts (he's amazing, look him up: http://ift.tt/2wWtLq9), at one of our many post-yoga dinner nights. I was deeply skeptical at first, but the more I got into it, the more it resonated and the hungrier I became for it. The last three years living in Austin have really kicked my Ennea-study into high gear. I've done a couple of intensive classes on it and read countless books, as well as incorporated it into my private yoga sessions. I loved working with the Enneagram and yoga so much, I've even developed and been leading workshops to teach others the basics of using them together. The wisdom I gain about myself and the way I relate to others has always had a huge impact on my yoga practice. I basically learned them both at the same time, so it's hard for me to separate them; I can't really imagine having a yoga practice without what I've learned from the Enneagram or studying the Enneagram without my yoga practice.

Why is it important to you to integrate yoga with the Enneagram?

I like to think about it this way: The Enneagram is an incredible map on your spiritual/inner-personal journey. The Eight Limbs of Yoga is like a killer, souped-up hot rod. If you're practicing yoga without the Enneagram, you're basically doing donuts in your cul-de-sac -- you haven't really set out on your journey yet.  And if you're studying the Enneagram but not engaging in conscious contemplative practices, you're just putting pins in a map of places you'd like to go, but you've never put the key in the ignition. To me, it really feels like yoga and the Enneagram were made for each other, and having one without the other just seems silly.

enneagram-counseling-austin-tx.jpg

What’s been your favorite part so far in working with yoga and the Enneagram?

When I work with clients who already know the Enneagram, we are able to move much more quickly into what types of yogic practices and lifestyle adjustments will be most effective. Those clients come in with a lot more "scathing self-honesty"; throw in the common language we share around these delicate subjects, and it really lays a strong foundation for a transformational yoga practice. I also really love teaching workshops. Being able to share the Enneagram with people in a way that is both honoring to the traditions I learned it in and accessible to beginners is a challenge that really brings me a lot of life. Teaching well-studied Ennea-scholars how to put "boots on the ground" and turn their knowledge into applied wisdom through yogic practices is deeply fulfilling.

What can people expect from working with you?

People who want to work with me can expect to be equal parts challenged and supported. I will demand the very best of you, and I will do everything in my power to help you get there. I have a strong intuition and a real knack for helping people navigate and move through difficult passages in their lives. I take this work very seriously, but I don't let that stop me from having a good time with my clients. I always strive to make sure my clients laugh as much as they cry and maybe do both at the same time.

How can people connect with you?

You can connect with me through my social media: @AbiRobinsYoga on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. You can also check out my blog and get in contact with me about booking a session through my website: http://ift.tt/2wWSMkG.

I'm also excited to be co-hosting a South Austin Enneagram Meetup, along with Austin Relational Wellness. Our first meetup is next Tuesday, October 3rd from 7-10pm at Stouthaus Coffee. You can find more info about the meetup here.


-Abi


 

Permalink

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Austin Relational Wellness is featured in this month's issue of Austin Woman Magazine! The article features an interview with local Enneagram enthusiast, Jamie Ivey, and some of Cat & Hannah's self-care tips for each Enneagram type. Link in profile or check it out here: http://atxwoman.com/exploring-the-enneagram-with-jamie-ivey/⠀ 💙 ⠀ #enneagram #enneagram7 #enneagram1 #enneagram6 #therelationalenneagram #relationship #relationships #healthyrelationships #therapy #couplestherapy #atxenneagram #atx #austinenneagram #southaustin #selfcare #counseling #learn #personalgrowth #personalitytypes #pin #launchwellnessmember #austinmentalhealth

Meet The Counselors | Austin Relational Wellness

"It takes real strength and courage to look at your true self… to get out of your comfort zone… to see all the things that have been carefully tucked away for so long that you may not have even known they existed… to admit that you’ve got some things you need to deal with… to recognize your own faults."⠀ .⠀ Head to the blog to read more about the real strength it takes to grow through inner work. (Link in profile)⠀ .⠀ #austinmentalhealth #launchwellnessmember #courage #strength #mentalhealth #austin #therapy #counseling